Thursday, March 8, 2012
Blog #7
Billy Elliot was the one of or if not the most amazing musical that I have ever seen. I have chosen that piece of art to feature on this blog. I had the pleasure of going to New York City last March with a friend for her birthday to see this show, and it was a great experience. The whole atmosphere of the the theater is just picked up after watching this inspirational musical. The basic plot for the musical takes place in a poor town in the UK. The workers in the mine are going on strike because they are sick of the harsh working conditions. Billy is a young boy who is forced to take boxing lessons but is no good at it. He accidentally joins a ballet class, and it soon becomes his passion in life. Throughout the whole story a worker's revolution is going on and at the same time Billy is trying to pursue his passion of becoming a dancer. I thought this show was really exquisite and very well done. The dancing and the singing is something that I have never seen before. You could feel the emotion flowing into the audience and you believed everything that was taking place on the stage. The actors seemed like they put a lot of time and effort to the musical. Something that really surprised me about the performance was that the main character who played Billy was a little kid. He was about 10 years old and he did everything so professionally. I was amazed at how well he could dance and sing. One scene that I enjoyed is when young Billy and his future self danced side by side to Swan Lake. It was something that really opened my eyes and almost put me in tears, that is how good it was. The music that was being sung was also really good. My favorite song from the musical is called "Electricity" and it was it sounded exactly how it sounds. It made the audience feel that spark inside of them. I took a lot away from the performance and it was something that really made me think. I think all works of art should have that aspect. I would recommend this show to anyone who enjoys musicals and who is into dance, particularly ballet. A couple of years after the musical was debuted they came out with the movie, and it was definitely not as good as the play. So for anyone who is interested in seeing this, should see it live.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really enjoyed your review of Billy Elliot. I think that the story had a good message that just because you don't know your dream and destiny doesn't mean that you don't have one. It must have been a really well acted musical for it to have almost put you in tears. The best actors are the ones who can transfer emotion to all of the members of the audience. Great choice maybe sometime I will see it myself.
ReplyDeleteYou are not the only person to rave about the Broadway musical, Billy Elliott, so now I am very interested in seeing it. You did a very good job encouraging people to see this play because of your descriptions of how the play made you and the rest of the audience feel. Like you, I would probably be fascinated by such a talented little boy acting in the show, giving me just another reason to want to go see the play. I am usually pretty picky about plays, alot of times I think they are boring, but I think this one would definitely keep my attention. I hope to see it sometime soon!
ReplyDeleteKara this is a very well written post so good job on that. I like how you described everything and you got me interested in this broadway musical. It sounds very interesting and a good show to go see. It's cool that a 10 year old played such a big role in the performance, and I like how you said it looked like the actors were really into their roles which is good because that always makes the show better. I agree that I would be wowed by a little kid playing such a big role on such a big stage. Overall, great job I enjoy reading your blogs!
ReplyDelete