Saturday, February 18, 2012

Blog #4

1. The first article that caught my eye was the Valentine's article. It stuck out to me because Valentine's Day recently passed and I was curious to see what it was about. This article was mostly stating facts and statistics about Valentine's Day and how much money is usually spent. The article to me, was interesting when it was talking about how people who make more income usually have longer lasting marriages. It goes to show that people care about the superficial things like candies, jewelry, flowers, chocolates, etc. It was surprising to see that a normal relationship cannot last without all of that stuff. I agree with the article when it says that Valentine's  Day is pretty much a worldwide scam, it even shows statistics about how much money is spent just to please your significant other. This article makes me wonder about love, and what it is based on now. Is it based on money? Is it based on pleasing someone with items? What does it take to show someone you really love them? I mean, yeah, it's nice to give someone you love flowers every once in a while. What happened to just showing your love through words, through trust, through support, and care?

2. The next article that I read was about M.I.A. and her persona. The question that came up was if her personality was too much for maybe the public eye. The author of this article is wondering if she may be too risky. Sometimes, some of the things that M.I.A. brings to the public eye are too controversial and may cause some people to be offended. At the same time, she is her own person and she knows what she stands for. I give her respect because she knows exactly what she is doing but she stands up for what she believes in. She is unique and her music tells a story. She takes it to the next bar. At the Superbowl she was performing in front of millions of viewers while looking like a radical from the Middle East. She knew that it would be an uproar but she did it anyway, with attitude. Although it was a very risky performance, it made a statement and it actually gave her more publicity. She has brought a lot of people into her new song "Bad Girls".

3.  This last article that I read was about Jeremy Lin. I am not a huge NBA fan myself. I personally like college basketball. But the hype on this new player from the Knicks is incredible. No matter who you are a fan of, or what team is your favorite, you can't help but to route for Jeremy Lin. The author of this article was actually Asian and could relate to Jeremy Lin. He was explaining that this young main made a huge impact for Asians. He made a name for himself in a city where that is hard to make a name for yourself. I'm talking New York City. Not only has he made a name for himself in NYC but across the country. He had 89 points in his first 3 games in the NBA. That is a pretty big deal. I guess the even bigger deal is that he is a minority. The author was proud to be of Asian background because of his success and the fact that Asians are starting to be noticed in professional sports. The next question for Jeremy Lin is if he will continue his hot streak, or will his talent fade away? It could be luck or a shot of adrenaline. He may die down in time.

1 comment:

  1. Kara, I completely agree with you about the Jeremy Lin article. Even though I am a fan of the NBA, this story of Lin has cultivated me and people all over with all different opinions about the league. I did not read either of the other two articles you chose, but the MIA one seems interesting. Why would she be so radical at the Superbowl, even to the extreme of flipping the middle finger? To address the last question you posed in the first response, I believe it still exists, but people always want more and giving gifts is a way to show all those traits.

    ReplyDelete